Parent's Bill of Rights
The Merrick Union Free School District is committed to protecting the privacy and security of each and every student’s data. Parents should be aware of the following rights they have concerning their child’s data:
- A student's personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education record.
- The confidentiality of a student’s personally identifiable information is protected by existing state and federal laws, and safeguards such as encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred. Third party contractors are required to employ technology, safeguards and practices that align with the National Institute of Standards and Technology Cybersecurity Framework.
- A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State Education Department is available for public review at: http://www.nysed.gov/data-privacy-security/student-data-inventory or by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234.
- Parents have the right to file complaints about possible breaches of student data. Parents may submit a complaint regarding a potential breach by the District to Ryan Butler, Assistant Superintendent for Business, 21 Babylon Road, Merrick, New York 11566. The School District shall promptly acknowledge any complaints received and commence an investigation into the complaint, while taking the necessary precautions to protect personally identifiable information. The School District shall provide a response detailing its findings from the investigation no more than sixty (60) days after receipt of the complaint. Complaints pertaining to the State Education Department or one of its third party vendors should be directed in writing to the Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the event of a data breach or unauthorized disclosure of students’ personally identifiable information, third party contractors are required by law to notify the School District within seven (7) days of discovery of the breach or unauthorized disclosure.
- If the District enters into a contract with a third party in which student, teacher, or principal data is shared with a third party, supplemental information for each such contract will be appended to this Parents’ Bill of Rights.
- Parents may access the State Education Department’s Parents’ Bill of Rights at: http://www.nysed.gov/common/nysed/files/programs/data-privacy-security/parents-bill-of-rights_2.pdf